East Coast Mindfulness offers a 3-phase professional mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) teacher training pathway that is completed entirely online, preparing you to teach MBSR in person. All teacher trainings are conducted online live, as you interact with an experienced MBSR trainer.
The entire pathway takes 2-3+ years to complete; however, there is no requirement to complete the pathway through to certification. You may begin teaching MBSR during Phase One, after completing Fundamentals in Teaching MBSR, under the guidance of a mentor who will walk alongside you as you develop and grow into a skilled, confident MBSR teacher. Completion of Phase One may be enough to meet your needs as an MBSR teacher, but we are here for you if you desire to complete MBSR teacher training beyond Phase One.
Please know, as with the development of your own mindfulness practice, training to offer mindfulness to others is a process that happens in unique ways for each trainee; therefore, there may be times throughout your training when you are asked to pause, wait, attend to your personal practice and/or seek further learning in a particular area, before moving to the next training course. Your mentor and you may decide that teaching additional cycles of MBSR and/or additional mentoring before moving into the certification process would benefit your teaching. East Coast Mindfulness instructors retain the responsibility to support the quality and integrity of MBSR teaching, and thus may require this of you.
We also offer a 4-week training to certified and/or fully trained, experienced MBSR teachers who want to teach MBSR online.
NOTE: If you are currently training to teach MBSR with another institution and would like to continue your training through East Coast Mindfulness, email Margaret and Rebecca at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know. We can meet you where you are, and finalize your training.
Have questions about our MBSR Teacher Training Pathway? Join us at a free 60-minute informational session to learn more.
To help us plan for, and skillfully meet, all who are interested, please choose only one of the following days and times. Click on the appropriate button to register for one of the sessions (times listed are US Eastern—if you need a time zone converter, you might use this one):
These sessions will be conducted via the Zoom video conferencing platform. To participate, you will need a high-speed internet connection, and a laptop or desktop computer with speaker, microphone, and video capability (no phones or tablets).
• Fundamentals in Teaching MBSR: 7-Day Intensive
• Mentorship Cycle One (while teaching the first cycle of MBSR): Ten 90-minute sessions, 1 per week, with mentor
• Inside the MBSR Classroom: 10-week training, includes study of videos of experienced MBSR teachers
• Mentorship Cycle Two (while teaching the second cycle of MBSR): Ten 60-minute sessions, 1 per week, with mentor
• Inquiry Intensive: 4-day training
• Mentorship Cycle Three (while teaching the third, fourth or fifth cycle of MBSR): Four 60-minute sessions over a 10-week period
NOTE: Before engaging in Mentorship Cycle Three, participating in a 5-day (or more) silent, teacher-led retreat in the tradition of MBSR is required.
• Teach a cycle of MBSR on your own
• Complete overall self-assessment
• Review & Certification: culminating individualized review with an experienced mentor, resulting in Certification in Teaching MBSR
If you are a fully trained, experienced MBSR teacher, and would like to be trained and certified to teach MBSR Live Online by the teachers who pioneered online MBSR at the Center for Mindfulness, UMass Medical School, you can apply for this 4-weekend intensive online training.
• Training format: four weekends, all conducted online, with assignments in between
• Participants who successfully complete this training are listed on our site
More information (including course schedules, cost, and registration info) can be found on the Train to Teach MBSR Live Online page.
Note: we also offer a 3-day, 27-hour Introduction to Teaching MBSR Live Online course, to help new MBSR teachers identify what is essential in each class of an MBSR course, and gain practical experience in expressing the essence of those classes through the online format.